Curatorial Open Call
Exhibitions and Public Programming Proposal
The artist-run Hercules Exhibition Program is currently accepting proposals from independent curators and artists for curated exhibitions and public programming for September 2017 - May 2018.
We seek proposals that utilize our galleries* for exhibitions, events, talks, or workshops that generate dialogue, afford artistic experimentation, address timely issues related to current artistic practices, and contribute to the Hercules mission as an artist-run space. The selected curator/s will receive full access to one or two white-wall exhibition spaces, one approximately 1,500 sf. and the other approximately 600 sf., both adjacent to artists' studios. Curators are responsible for organizing and managing every aspect of artist and art work selection, exhibition design and installation, run time and de-installation. Hercules provides installation and lighting support, artwork insurance coverage, e-vite, gallery signage, exhibition checklist and publicity, including Hercules web presence, plus opening reception refreshments and photo documentation of the exhibition.
Proposals will be reviewed and accepted on an ongoing basis. Applications from collaborative groups are accepted.
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
Proposals for exhibitions and events will be reviewed by the resident artists and Hercules support staff and selected based on conceptual rigor and artistic quality. Consideration will also be given to the individual/group’s desire to work within a residency program environment of collaboration and inquiry. Successful applicants will articulate a particular need to exhibit or convene within the Hercules Gallery and the surrounding community. Preference will be given to new and site-specific or site-responsive work, project feasibility, underrepresented and emerging artists, and ambitious concepts.
- Proposals can be submitted at any time, and are reviewed by Hercules three times a year.
- You do not have to be a professionally trained curator or event organizer to submit a proposal. Submissions will be judged on merit, however, for curated exhibitions, previous exhibition experience is encouraged.
- We strongly support group artist exhibitions, given the large scale of the gallery space. Panel discussions or other events can be intimate in nature: maximum occupancy is [50 people] but an audience of no more than twenty is optimal.
To apply for the program, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Curatorial Open Call:
- Written proposal (1-2 pages) outlining the concept of the exhibition or event, preferred dates if any, and breakdown of events
- A list of the proposed guest artists with brief bios and sample images of work
- CV and brief narrative bio of curator/organize
- Please indicate if you require one or both gallery spaces, and if one, which one.
Curators, artists, and panelists are all eligible regardless of age, gender, or nationality. Those who currently own or run a New York City-based gallery, or have New York City gallery representation are not eligible. We strongly prefer to be the sole or first venue for the proposed exhibition; plans to travel the exhibition must be disclosed.
- Duration: Exhibits generally run for 4-6 weeks and are typically scheduled 3-6 months in advance.
- Hercules has a house projector, flatscreen monitor, and full backline sounds system available
- Gallery Hours: Hercules does not provide gallery hours. It is open by appointment only. Curators are welcome to provide their own gallery sitting hours.